Jobless Claims Fall As Does the Dollar
In economic data today coming from the United States, the initial weekly jobless claims fell by 2000 to 328,000 for the week ended 11th January. This figure was just slightly above the consensus estimate which had all been pointing at a reading of around 325,000. Also released the same time were the secondary unemployment claims which jumped up by 174,000 to reach the total of 3,030,000.
So far this data seems to have had a negative effect on the US dollar, with most currency pairs led by the USD pushing sharply down around the time of data release. The euro versus the US dollar has been on small rising trend right from the release of this data, and currently sits with a high for today at around 1.3649.
The price of gold futures bounced significantly on the release of the data, and seems to be pushing up strongly into the US session. Although gold futures still have a way to go to reach the highs of early this week when XAU/USD was trading around the 1254.8 area.
Crude oil, on the other hand, seems to be consolidating around the 94.2 area after yesterday’s charge back to the highs of early January. On Wednesday crude oil futures rallied after the US government data displayed a reasonable size drop in crude supplies. Falling by a surprising 7.7 M barrels for the end of last week. A strong US manufacturing report also help boost the price yesterday, renewing a lot of hopes for the demand of crude oil.
Most Popular Content
- Dollar Remains Strong As Oil Prices Fall
- All Eyes On GDP Data as Pound Holds Support
- Outlook for the Pound and Dollar
- Pound Still in Downwards Trend Fuelled by Economic Outlook
- Dollar Gains Ground into Veterans Day
- Rebound in EURUSD Makes a Sharp Retrace
- Dollar at Highs as Pound Forms a Base
- Concerns Over Economy Sees Mixed Sentiment On Pound
Currency Articles - Dec 12, 2014 11:47 - 0 Comments
More In Currency Articles
Gold and Oil News - Oct 7, 2014 17:44 - 0 Comments
More In Gold and Oil News
- Gold Falls But Higher Prices May Be On The Horizon
- Gold Prices Spike Higher On Increased Israel Tension
Shares and Markets - May 1, 2014 10:50 - 0 Comments
More In Shares and Markets
- Glaxosmithkline Share Price Rebound Halts On Slower Sales
- Royal Mail Share Price Will Not Be Investigated