Apple’s Push Towards Full Mobile May Leave Intel Behind
There’s a report that Apple is working on a version of an ARM SoC that could replace Intel chips in their full service Macs.Â Since iOS and OS/X share the same code-base, similar to Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 from Microsoft, creating a port of OS/X to run on the ARM architecture is not much of a stretch, ultimately.
While the Bloomberg reports states that it won’t happen before 2017, with the announcement by ARM of the Cortex A50 64-bit series cores and Apple having a full design license from ARM, which allows them to design their own versions using ARM’s instruction set the the timing of this
The rumors of Apple wanting to ditch Intel have been swirling for years now and if AMD was anything close to competently run they would probably be running the latest round of Macbooks.Â Â For this report to make sense, however, Apple would have to buy a GPU design house of some repute.Â Intel has yet to prove that they can credibly produce a chip that operates in a mobile device that, frankly, doesn’t suck.
I’m sure the boys in Cupertino are looking carefully at what AMD will pull off in the next 12 months in terms of their APUs and the ability of them to up the performance ante because any successful marriage of AMD’s Radeon technology with ARM instruction sets would signal there is a real solution out there that doesn’t involve licensing PowerVR GPU cores anymore.
Most Popular Content
- All Eyes On GDP Data as Pound Holds Support
- Outlook for the Pound and Dollar
- Pound Still in Downwards Trend Fuelled by Economic Outlook
- Dollar Gains Ground into Veterans Day
- Rebound in EURUSD Makes a Sharp Retrace
- Dollar at Highs as Pound Forms a Base
- Concerns Over Economy Sees Mixed Sentiment On Pound
- Gold Price – To Buy Or Not To Buy?
Currency Articles - Nov 25, 2014 10:33 - 0 Comments
More In Currency Articles
Gold and Oil News - Oct 7, 2014 17:44 - 0 Comments
More In Gold and Oil News
- Gold Falls But Higher Prices May Be On The Horizon
- Gold Prices Spike Higher On Increased Israel Tension
Shares and Markets - May 1, 2014 10:50 - 0 Comments
More In Shares and Markets
- Glaxosmithkline Share Price Rebound Halts On Slower Sales
- Royal Mail Share Price Will Not Be Investigated