The number of victims of the conflict in eastern Ukraine has doubled over the last two weeks, a report from the United Nations' (UN) human rights office said on Wednesday.
According to UN's "very conservative estimates", the death toll rose from 1,129 on 26 July to 2,086 by Monday, while 5,000 people had been injured. The UN said the figures represented "a clear escalating trend" of violence in Ukraine.
The UN said figures included civilians, pro-Russian rebels and Ukrainian troops.
Earlier in the week, Kiev saw its army making successful progress in the east of the country, where government troops managed to cut off the road between the two main rebel-held cities of Donetsk and Luhansk, effectively cutting off rebels' supplies between the two sites.
On Wednesday, reports emerged suggesting that Igor Strelkov, the self-proclaimed defence minister of the rebel Donetsk People's Republic, had been severely injured in fighting, though his fate remained unconfirmed.
Having decreased at the end of last week, the geopolitical tension between the two countries rose again as Ukraine's interior minister described Russia's decision to send a convoy of humanitarian aid to Ukraine as "a provocation by a cynical aggressor".
Kiev's position seemed to be shared by Poland's foreign minister Radoslaw Sikorkski, who on Wednesday told Reuters he believed Moscow might still invade Ukraine, though not by sending troops into the country along its humanitarian convoy.
Sikorkski's fears had been anticipated by NATO secretary general, Anders Rasmussen, who on Monday said there was a "high probability" of Russian attack.
The 260-truck convoy set off from the Moscow region on Tuesday but Ukraine officials have been adamant they will not allow it to cross the border, despite Russia's claims that the humanitarian expedition is being carried out in partnership with the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC).
Ukrainian Prime Minister Arseny Yatseniuk made clear what Kiev thought of the Russian convoy and said: "First they send tanks, Grad missiles and bandits who fire on Ukrainians. Then they send water and salt."
The Russian government has been repeatedly accused of supplying arms and forces to the separatists in Eastern Ukraine, a charge Moscow has denied since the conflict began.
Yatseniuk said that Russia should "send 300 empty trucks and take their terrorists back", suggesting that there wouldn't be any need for humanitarian help if Moscow did as told.
Late on Wednesday a spokesperson for Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko suggested that there was a chance the convoy might be allowed into Ukrainian territory closer to Luhansk and be cleared through customs by officials of the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) operating alongside Ukrainian officials.
Meanwhile, Ewan Watson, a spokesperson for the ICRC, said the organisation was "missing several pieces of the puzzle".
"This isn't our convoy," Watson told the Guardian.
"We are willing to take over the assistance from Russia and be in charge of the convoy, but we can't without the Ukrainian authorities," added Viktoria Zotikova, an ICRC representative in Moscow.
"What's important is that they decide how it will cross, how it will go further, how the supplies will be stored. We would have to know for sure that the Ukrainian side has checked the cargo and agreed on the contents of it."